I planned to write this blog after breakfast out with my daughter-in-law, Mati Lamb. Mati’s in process of changing careers, from retail manager to corporate middle manager. At breakfast, she–serendipitously–told me what she looks for in a good leader:
- Listen to your people well.
- Give people credit for their work, along with public recognition.
- Provide opportunities to advance the careers of your people.
While she talked, I thought about my Best Boss Ever and what made him so great. Honestly, I cried when forced to move to a different job in a different state. He was:
- Kind. He never failed to show interest and respect for his people.
- Honest. He never—no not ever–lied.
- Discreet. He never talked to one of his people about another.
If you’re a manager take heed. People stay in jobs (and leave them) because of managers.
As for the lily, it’s my favorite. Hope you enjoy the photo of this year’s bloom.
Next Thursday–third runner up for WORST BOSS EVER.