First Sunday of fall. The sun is shining and the weather is cool. A perfect late September day.
Time to put the ‘working tools’ garden to bed for winter. Daylilies divided. Hose and gutter drains in place, mulch down.
This is part of the frog garden, thus the dancing frogs.
The hack? A thick–more than four inches–layer of mulch under the hose cart to prevent weeds.
It’s time. We have seven flower and nine veggie raised beds that need clean-up for winter. Starting in the bed closest to the road, we weeded, pruned, divided, and mulched.
Anchored by two giant pin oaks, this bed has changed from mostly sun to mostly shade. That’s how much the oaks have grown in the past ten years. I’ve been moving the hostas from the north side–where I’ll plant more ferns this coming spring–to circle the trees.
But the sedum autumn joy and pink chrysanthemum don’t seem to mind the diminished sunshine. Next spring, before the oaks leaf out, the bed will be a riot of daffodils and tulips.
Meanwhile, the mulch is spread and, while we’ll have to keep an eagle eye out for newly emerging weeds, this bed is ready for what will hopefully be a snowy winter. One down. Six to go.
The last Sunday of summer. Next Sunday will be officially fall. And just in time for the end of summer, here are some chrysanthemums.
It hasn’t rained all week and might not rain until the end of next, so we’ll be hauling buckets and hose today, watering trees.
Three days of rain, followed by the promise of sunny weather sometime today. Thankful for the rain. We may be almost out of the drought zone.
This ruffled wonder is still blooming when the other daylilies have turned to sticks. Rain is in the offing for tomorrow or the day after. We’ll see.
Last month’s daylily. Something pretty to look at while I recover from a medical concern. Returning Sunday with a fun food post.
Late blooming daylily after a thorough watering. We’re about a foot low on rain, although we’re promised rain on Monday. Or Tuesday, really. Maybe Wednesday…
How quickly plans can change! I tried taking a photo of THREE blooms, but one fell off during the ‘arrange to be prettier’ process.
I tried finishing up my outline board for my current work in progress. But first the printer stopped working and then I was hack-attacked. Two days later, and five hours remote chatting with experts, I’m finally back to square one.
No point in working now. I need to go for a walk.
Back in May, a handful of seeds thrown against the brick wall. Today, a riot of blooms.